Dad's Pictures 33 -

Saturday, September 8, 2007

DAY 17 - SATURDAY

So sorry, again. We just realized that no one has blogged since Wednesday. It has been an exhausting couple of days and, unfortunately, at the end of each day, there was no energy left for blogging. So here goes. Thursday turned out to be a miserable day for Joe as he was in incredible pain that could not be controlled, no matter how much morphine, fentanyl and percoset they used. As everyone knows, it is very hard to watch a loved one in pain and be completely helpless to do anything. Everybody tried hard to give him some relief, but it just didn't happen that day. But let me add that we knew it was just a bump in the road for him and we know how incredibly well he is doing. We found out that some of the residents have nicknamed him "The Tank", bec. a tractor rolled over and dragged him and he was still able to make his own 9-1-1 call. It was just a rough day for him, and thus, for us. They hoped that day not to have to give him any more blood. I have kind of lost track, but I think he has received 20 units of blood, maybe a couple more that I might missed somewhere along the line, but the bleeding seems to have stopped. He still has plenty of drainage from the open wounds and into the drain from the surgical site, and into the wound vac. from the open area on the right tibia, but seems to be holding his own, so that is very positive.

So, that night, poor Megan came on - her first day back after a week off - with high hopes about how the night would go. When she came on, Joe was resting quietly - for about a nanno second. It was down hill from there. Joe managed to pull his feeding tube out and Megan didn't notice it immediately until she realized she was standing in a puddle. He was proudly holding the tube in his hand. Uh, oh. She replaced the ng tube and put the arm restraints on him. Somehow, he managed to get the ng tube out again, even with the restraints on. He is nothing if not determined. The rest of the night did not go any better. When we came back in to see him early in the morning, Megan looked haggard and the little angel was, once again, resting peacefully for a nanno second. Megan told us, "Don't be fooled. It has taken me 12 hours to get him to this point. We've had 12 hours of negotiations and I didn't win any of them". This from a man who is unable to speak. Megan said, "Thank goodness! Only 17 minutes until Derek (the day nurse) gets here". It was quite a night for everybody. And for someone who really needs some rest to heal, not resting is getting to be a little bit concerning.

So Derek's shift began the same way. Fortunately, this day they seemed to be able to get a grip on the pain, but unfortunately bec. of that, it began a whole day of insisting he wanted to get out of bed, trying to move himself, insisting he needed to take a shower and on and on. Even though his pain seemed to be under control, he was not comfortable all day with back pain and kept trying to shift himself and tried to pull himself around . Nobody could figure out how he was managing to skootch himself all around, but he did. After hours and hours of this, and hours and hours of pulling off tubes, bandages, his identification bracelet and blood pressure cuff, Derek finally told us that he was suffering from "ICU psychosis". Personally, I think I have that myself, but that's a different story. So, once again, a long, miserable day for everybody ... but he is still doing wonderfully and we have no complaints. Couple of little blips with his insulin and some other small problems that needed attending. I've been asked many times if he is diabetic and my reply is that he didn't have it when he came in here, so please take care of it.

So by the time that Megan got on at night, there was a plan for getting him to sleep finally. It took several hours and more drugs, but voila, finally rest and sleep. He did look like a new man this morning when we arrived.

So, the update on the injuries. The lungs are starting to heal and re-inflate. Both chest tubes have been removed. He is now on a trach collar, which just keeps humidified oxygen going through trach. He is completely off the ventilator. The contustion on the heart is healing nicely. Ditto for the liver. The hip has been repaired and the femur has a rod in it. The head of the Trauma unit was in and asked how the "Miracle Man" was doing. He said the ribs are starting to mend together, as are the vertebrae. Somehow, the surgical residents managed to slip in last night and remove the drain from the hip and femur and disappear into the wind again without me or the nurse spotting them. They are crafty and quick and I have had to literally ankle tackle them several times to get some answers. However, that looks good and they are pleased so far. The rod in the right tibia looks good and he is still 2 hours on and 2 hours off on the machine that is slightly bending his knee and extending his leg. His left leg still has the external fixators on it and the word right now is that they are O.K. with that for now, but may require further surgery down the road. It may also require some skin grafting, but the more time that goes on, he is starting to do some healing on his own. They will wait and see. The plastic surgery on the right leg will be scheduled for next Tuesday or Wednesday and they will decide at that time whether they will need to do some muscle grafting or just a skin graft. Everyone is pleased and amazed at his progress and we are (quietly) wild with hope, joy and optimism. We are still learning about how many people really never thought he would survive, but no one ever said that to us and we never believed it for a minute.
I know that I keep saying this, but we can't thank everyone enough for all their thoughts and prayers. They are so important to Joe's recovery, so if you can, please keep them coming his way. They are helping. If you could, please keep our new waiting room friends, families and patients - Dana Carr and our new friend, Todd, and his family, both critically injured in biking accidents. Love, Cindi
Just a P.S. We have heard that some people have had trouble with the blog. You do not have to have a Google account to post a blog. You can just sign on as "Anonymous". But it does not cost anything to open a Google account and you do not have to share any personal or confidential information.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindi,, Thanks for the update and as I was reading about Joe's antics with the feeding tube and all else I had to laugh. As serious as his condition is "That is Joe to a T'. Stubborn ,determined guy.
He is getting better and that is good.

Anonymous said...

Dear Elliot and Gang,
Thanks so much for the care package for dad. He is thoroughly enjoying the coke you dropped off for him.
He is truly "Having a Coke and a smile".
Thanks again.

TF

Anonymous said...

Cin
We prefer to think of him as an "assertive consumer" of his medical care -
We're all staying in touch with you through our prayers

love from all the Goodings

PS I hear vodka is the favored prescription for spousal ICU Psychosis

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe and Family,

My NAPA store sends our thoughts and prayers for continued healing. Attitude is everything!!! We will keep those positive thoughts heading your way.

With our Love and Best Wishes
NAPA in Addison, NY

Anonymous said...

Cindi--As usual you have painted a very clear picture of what is going on. Even the the sledding is tough, you must be very encouraged. I did not know the part of Joe making his own 9-1-1 call. Honest to God, that man is truly amazing. My love to you, Joe and all the family. Nancy B.

Anonymous said...

Stacy, I've been thinking about you often and I am keeping your dad and your family in my prayers. I'm glad to hear he is making progress. Take Care. Eileen Miller

Paul said...

Hi,
As disappointing as his mental status sounds, I do believe the nurse is correct with the ICU Psychosis diagnosis. While not unusual, it's still not easy on anyone (both caregivers and family). This too will pass. If you could only imagine several thousand construction crews building, removing waste and debris, making their own building materials at a breakneck pace...you'd have a hint as to what his body is attempting to do. As I've told many people before....he didn't hurt his head and if that's the case, then everything else can be fixed. Thanks again for the update, I'll be around to see you and Joe soon.

Paul

Dave Soule said...

Cindi, Kathy and I have been reading the blog daily.You, Joe and the family are sending us a very POWERFUL example of strength and courage.We have huge respect for you all.May all of your friends take away something from this that makes us stronger families,better friends and more appreciative of the little things in life.You guys are awesome!!!
Your Friends-Dave and Kathy Soule

Dave Soule said...

Cindi, Kathy and I have been reading the blog daily.You, Joe and the family are sending us a very POWERFUL example of strength and courage.We have huge respect for you all.May all of your friends take away something from this that makes us stronger families,better friends and more appreciative of the little things in life.You guys are awesome!!!
Your Friends-Dave and Kathy Soule

Anonymous said...

Nana,

I haven't even spoken directly to you because I know you have been so busy/tired/preoccupied. I have been sending my hugs and kisses to you and Popo through that wonderful son of yours, but now I think it is time for me to blog.

I sit here with tears in my eyes thinking about the horror that you, the kids, and especially Popo have been through over the past few weeks. I want you to know that I have been praying for all of you, most of all for our dear Popo. (I don't think I have prayed this much since I was 13!) Each day I get updates, sometimes a few, and I am amazed at the strenth and determination that Popo has had throughout this healing process.

Dillon, Chase and Jack are worried about their Popo and want his boo boo's to heal quickly so he can come to the 'burgh for a visit. They would like it if you and Misha would come too!

Nana and Popo you are in my thoughts constantly. I love you both and I can't wait to give you both hugs and kisses in person. Your strength is inspirational!!!!!

Lots of Love,
Lenie

Joan Allegue said...

Joe & Cindi: As difficult as the past couple days have been, it sounds like tremendous progress is being made.
Thanks for the updates ... we continue to have you in our thoughts!

Raul & Joan

P.S. Here's an update on the Hills. Work has begun on the putting green -- it's completely dug up right now.
A 'special' new refrigerator that cools to 23 degrees has been installed in the grille room for the 'special' aluminum bottles of bud. And one more thing ... I had a birdie on number 1 today. :-D

Carol Panzer Mihal said...

Cindi,
We think of you and Joe everyday and regularly keep up with this blog. You're doing an incredible job supporting Joe and communicating Joe's progress and this whole experience. The strength you and Joe are demonstrating during this very difficult time is really an inspiration. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts.

Carol & Bill

Tom Hamilton said...

Joe,
You've got to get back to golf ASAP. Since your accident my game has gone downhill so I'm blaming you for my bad golf plus their bringing in other people that are harder to beat than you so I'm paying not collecting from you.
Keep fightin Brother, as you can see from the many comments on this blog everyone is with you in mind and spirit in Albany.
Our best,
Jeanne & Tom

fishgal said...

anyone who has played golf with joe knows that he is a great competitor,a fighter who never looses . Joe will win this one too.

our thoughts are always with you.
The Romes

Anonymous said...

Cindi: I am a friend of Bev's from Cambridge. We have met several times previously. I just want you to know that our entire congregation is aware of Joe's need, and many of us are keeping him in our prayers. You and he are both amazing!

Anonymous said...

To Joe, Cindi, and family,
We are all very sorry to hear of Joe's accident. We are keeping abreast of Joe's recovery daily and look forward to his steady progress. Of course our prayers are with you all.

The Bill Spaulding Family

Stacy and Paul said...

Popo,
Glad to hear from Todd that you have been enjoying ice cream, even when you weren't hungry or thirsty...a little ice cream never hurt! I will make sure to go out and get you come coffee ice cream when I arrive again tomorrow. I miss being there, more than words can describe. Keep fighting, Popes!

Nana,
I miss you, too. I will try to bring or make some good comfort food when I get there...I also heard good food, along with a little booze is a good persription for the ICU Psychosis for family.

Love you both,
Stac

Anonymous said...

Joe and Family,
I am very happy to hear Joe is making positive steps in his recovery. I keep Joe in my prayers and am also praying that his pain and suffering stop. I hope Joe can have some very good sleep. I am trying to get some time off in the next few weeks to take a trip to see all of you. I will continue to pray. Hang in there Everyone.
Jon Lord

Anonymous said...

Cindi,

The Bensons just heard of Joe's accident, and my brother Peter was able to get info on your blog today. We are all praying for Joe's recovery - he has a long road to travel, but sounds like he is making progress. All the best, Gail Benson, as well as Bill, Peter, and Phyllis Benson, too.