Dad's Pictures 33 -

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

DAY 48!

Wow, we (my mom, dad and myself) just had to count on our fingers and the calendar to see how many days it has been since this whole thing has started. O.K., so we figured out it has been 48 days. Today my dad sat in a wheelchair for about an hour and a half. We will work on actually having him go somewhere in it sometime soon. For now, it is definitely great progress just to be in that seated position for any length of time.
He is doing so well with his exercises I can hardly believe the improvement from last week. He is mostly doing everything on his own now with just a little support under each ankle. The other thing he needs help with is bending the right knee, but he is so determined...he really has us push him to the limit.
They have scheduled the plastic surgery for next Friday, the 19th. They hope to do the muscle/skin grafts in all three places; the two lower legs and the incision on the right thigh. They are talking about possible not needing to do the thigh because it is being pulled together nicely by the wound vac. Time will tell with that, I guess.
I know people are really chomping at the bit to get here and visit with my dad. For now, he is still in the Step-Down Trauma Unit and is really only allowed to have 2 family members in with him at a time. When he is permitted to have more visitors we will post it on the blog.
Thanks for your enthusiasm, prayers, well wishes, strength, hope, love and all of the other great things that you have been sending to my dad and our family. I continue to be amazed and inspired by my dad and my mom's strength and courage and love for one another and our family. I feel truly blessed to have been raised as part of this family.
-Stacy
P.S. Apologies from Albany Med...bloggers here were having technical difficulties, hence, the lack of information in the last few days.

3 comments:

Robb said...

Like the Italians say, "Live how you eat and Eat how you live". lil Joe knows this and he lives it. Just a short while longer and you will be enjoying both, again. I know you well enough to know you are looking so forward to FOOD. Maybe more than anything else. Truly one of lifes most wonderful aspects. I cannot wait until you may indulge yourelf in this pleasure. I LOVE YOU R-boy

Anonymous said...

Joe and family,

Great news and updates. Keep up the hard work and we all realize it has been very difficult for all of you.

You are in our thoughts and prayers,

Ben and Linda Viverito

Anonymous said...

Great news and progress.
Keep us posted on when visitors will be able to visit as that will help in Joes recovery.