Dad's Pictures 33 -

Friday, August 31, 2007

A Special Visitor

Well, it is 7:30 P.M. on Friday evening and Dad seems to be resting pretty well ... with the help of some sedatives. No major changes, which I have learned is a good thing.
My Aunt Bev has arrived and was visiting with my father when she ran into a very special visitor. Paul Toscino came in to visit my father. You may be asking, who is Paul Toscino? I would have been asking that same question 15 mins ago. Now I know, Paul Toscino is one of my father's guardian angels. Paul and his partner ,Dennis Wood, were on duty the day my father had his accident. They are life flight emergency medical technicians and responded to the scene of my father's accident. I believe Paul said he was 41 years old and he has a lifetime full of experience. He has been in this field for many years, thank god. In the few minutes we spoke, I could tell Paul was a great person who really enjoyed helping people. I am very thankful that he and Dennis were on duty that day. I look forward to speaking with him again and meeting his partner, Dennis,
Through Paul, we are getting even more details about just how strong dad was that day. Paul said that Popo was lucid when they got there and remained lucid as they evaluated him. When they saw the extent of his injuries, combined with his age, well, let's just say he did not have the highest of hopes that Dad would be somewhat stable at this point. His vitals were very unstable on the flight to the hospital with a very low blood pressure.
I hope that some day we can piece the whole thing together with the help of Dad's neighbors and Paul and Dennis. It will be a great story to tell Dad, as I am hoping he won't remember a thing about his accident.
Paul, you and Dennis are family now. Thank you so much for doing your jobs so well.
Talk to you all later,
Love
Little t.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Hello to the wonderful Ferraro family. I only wish somehow we could have met in a better way. I'm leaving my first ever blog posting on your blog. Thank you all for your overwhelming show of love, gratitude and friendship to myself and Dennis. I'll be keeping up to date on Joe's progress via the blog and on some visits with you all as well. I sent an email with a couple of pictures to you also. Keep in touch and I will certainly keep you all in my prayers.

Paul Toscino, NREMT-P

Tom Hamilton said...

Joe & Cindi,
Last night of Scotch Ball @ GHCC. You didn't win but niether did the Hamilton, Mountz, or Lacey/Lahey duo's. You'll need to put your $5.00 in when you're back in town. Happy to see that 8 days post accident Joe is getting more stable. AS you know he is always on our mind. Hope to see you soon.
Jeanne & Tom

Terry & Mike Criscione said...

Cindy, Joe, and family,
You have been in our thoughts and prayers. Popo is such an inspiration to all with such strength and drive to live for his family. A remarkable man! We think this blog is great to keep us up to date---It helps all keep what is important and our priorities in check. Paul and Dennis unbelievable the gift you have given to this family, I know you were "just doing your job" but the magnitude of your gift to them will never be forgotten. Thank you for doing your "job" so well. Popo you're name has been in our parish prayer book and we will all continue to pray for you and your family as you continue your recovery... With love--Mike, Terry, & Elizabeth

Stacy and Paul said...

Dad,today we talked to yet another person who was at the hospital when you arrived who, in not so many words, said I did not feel he was going to make it. It was one of your nurses. Right now you are proving another person wrong with your strenght of spirit. You have made it through 10 days so far. Today the swelling in your hands looks much better. Same is true for the head. You have now started a very minimal amount of breathing on your own, and quickly back to the machines. For us these small steps are awesome. Bye the way the Yanks won today after a loss last nighr to the Devil rays. Some rookie threw a no-hitter for the Sox. Love R-boy

Unknown said...

Hi Ferraro Family,
We were so saddened to hear of Joe's accident but relieved that his condition is stable. Our prayers are with such a wonderful family. If there is anything that I can do as a physician, please don't hesitate to call.

Jeff, Polly, Elise and David Gelwan (former neighbors on stonepost rd)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ferraro and family,
I was deeply saddened to hear about your accident. It seems like just last week I was up in Hillsdale and you were working on that tractor. But I know that you will pull through because you are strong in spirit. You're in my thoughts and prayers everyday, my wishes for a fast and full recovery.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation."
Cor. 1:3-7

-Jonathan

Anonymous said...

To the Ferraro family,
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to Joe. Thank God he's as tough as he is. My thoughts and prayers are with you all and for Joe's quick recovery.
Chris Lord

Anonymous said...

Joe, hang in there. I hope everyday gets better for you. To the rest of the family you guys are the best surrounding your father with support and love. I am thinking of all of you. Hang in there everyone. Day by day, and step by step, everything will be back. Thats my prayer.
Jon Lord

Anonymous said...

P.S. to Robb and Joe, I don't know how this happened or why? but my son Skylor is a Yankees fan and I'm a Red Sox fan. Thought you might like to know about that.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
Neil Fresk told me of your accident. Although you are badly injured I know you will pull through, because I know you. Nevertheless, our prayers and thoughts are with you.
Hope you make small improvements everyday and then get well again soon.
Retirement is going well for Barbara and I. If you ever want to get away to a warm climate come down to Charleston, SC, we have plenty of room. (843) 532-3671.
Love to you, Cindy, and family,
We'll talk again,
Joe Hand

Anonymous said...

Joe and Cindi,
Annette and I are praying that you will get better quickly - no one fron cos cob ever gets beat!

Love,
Vinny and Annette Cortese

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy Joe And Family.
WE are thinking and praying for Joe every day. He is always on our minds and in our hearts. The progress he has made is awesome. WE are looking at the blog everyday.Tell him we are thinking of him.
Warmest Regards.
Sandy & Bill.